Thursday, October 27, 2022

2 teens killed in house fire

A gas leak is the suspected cause of a house fire that killed two teen boys in Inkster last Friday.

The teens, 17 and 15, were alone in the home near Inkster Road and Michigan Avenue, officials said. Fire officials said that the fire had extinguished itself when they arrived at the scene but had obviously been burning for some time. Firefighters were called to the home at 27107 Florence St. about 11 p.m. Oct. 21.

Members of the Michigan State Police Metro Lab, Fire Investigators Section and an accelerant canine unit were assisting the Inkster Police Department and firefighters at the scene. Michigan State Police reported a possible gas leak but no cause of the fire had been officially reported at press time. 

Neighbors said the 15-year-old boy was severely mentally disabled and was also confined to a wheelchair because of physical handicaps. Firefighters continued to search the home after discovering the deceased younger boy and found the body of the older victim, believed to be his 17-year-old brother.

Fire authorities said the fire appeared to be accidental in nature but the investigation will continue. The victims were the only individuals in the house at the time of the fire, officials said.