Thursday, April 20, 2023

Belleville High School valedictorian matches brother’s honor

Sean Tinsley
Educational excellence is a family tradition in the Tinsley family.

Brothers, Sean and Shane, are the first Black valedictorian and salutatorian in their respective graduating classes at Belleville High School.

Shane Tinsley became the salutatorian of his graduating class in 2020, the first African-American student to have won that distinction, which is based on academic performance. This year his younger brother, Sean Tinsley, became the first African-American valedictorian of the class of 2023. 

“I saw him (brother Shane) make history and I wanted to make an impact on my school and my community as well,” Sean Tinsley told reporters covering the unique achievements.

“Let me try some way to make history at Belleville High School myself,” he said. “I didn't start number one. I had to work my way up, but I was always a contender and I always made sure I was doing my best work,” he added.

His academic determination paid off with a huge increase in his grade point average and at the end of his junior year, he had the highest grade point average in his class. He was enrolled in several Advanced Placement classes at the school. Those advanced class grade points are calculated on a 5.0 scale, pushing Tinsley's grade point average to 4.59.

“To have that representation finally - the school has been around for so many years and for it to finally happen, I feel like I just broke a major glass ceiling,” he told reporters as the unique achievement of the brothers made state-wide news.

Shane Tinsley said he is very proud of his younger brother's achievements.

“I  laid the foundation and he just took it from there,” Shane Tinsley said. “And I'm so glad to see where he's going and whose to come next.”

Sean Tinsley said he will be attending Michigan State University this fall and plans to major in political science with a focus on pre-law. He said he hopes, after obtaining his degrees, to become a prosecuting attorney.

Shane Tinsley is set to graduate a year ahead and has been accepted into medical school as part of the Wayne State Med Direct program. 

Mom Sheila Tinsley said she proud of her sons' achievements and said part of her role as a parent was making sure both her sons “knew their worth” and understood their best efforts would pay off.

“Don't let anyone tell you can't, you can do it,” Sean Tinsley said. “Just put forth your best effort and you will be successful.”