Thursday, December 28, 2023

Church choir member suffers burns

The final performance of “The Glory of Christmas” concert at NorthRidge Church earlier this month left a woman hospitalized with burns over 30 percent of her body, officials said.

According to fire department reports, first responders were called to the church at about 9 p.m. Dec. 7 to treat a woman severely burned when her choir robe caught fire during a performance. Officials said a misplaced candle  ignited the choir robe when the woman brushed against the flame. The victim remains hospitalized with “pretty significant burn injuries” after being transported to a University of Michigan facility.

Choir members surrounding the woman suffered some minor burns as she attempted to leave the crowded riser as the robe erupted into flames. Church security staff members responded to extinguish the flames as the township fire department was enroute. The final show in the 31-year season of the event continued after the woman was transported by Plymouth Township fire personnel.

The show, which required a permit and inspection by fire officials, included multiple special effects with the full choir and orchestra, dancers, flying angels and live animals.