Thursday, April 29, 2021

Local man now serving on Navy Guided Missile Cruiser

Rick Burke, Navy Office of Community Outreach

A Westland man is serving aboard USS Philippine Sea, a U.S. Navy Flight II Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruiser, homeported in Mayport, FLA.

Petty Ofc. 2nd Class Brian Williams is a 2014 Wayne Memorial High School graduate and 2019 graduate of Washtenaw Community College. Today, Williams serves as a damage controlman.

“I'm responsible for being a fire systems technician and firefighter aboard the ship,” said Williams. “I've also enjoyed the relationship I have built with my brothers.” 

Williams joined the Navy two years ago, he said, to give his wife and children a better life.

According to Williams, the values required to succeed in the Navy are similar to those found in Westland.

“I learned if you want to be successful, you have to work hard and grind every day,” said Williams. “Life gives you many obstacles to overcome, it's all about how you are going to overcome them and keep moving forward.”

Though there are many opportunities for sailors to earn recognition in their command, community and careers, Williams is most proud of being a first time homeowner at 23 years old. 

As a member of the U.S. Navy, Williams, as well as other sailors, know they are a part of a service tradition providing unforgettable experiences through leadership development, world affairs and humanitarian assistance. Their efforts will have a lasting effect around the globe and for generations of sailors who will follow.

“Serving in the Navy has shown me that I am mentally and physically stronger than I thought I was,” added Williams. “This life is hard but the reward is great.”