Thursday, January 13, 2022

Sworn to serve

Mayor, councilmembers take oaths of office during inauguration event

William R. Wild was officially inaugurated for his fourth term as mayor of the City of Westland Jan. 3.

Four members of the Westland City Council also took their oaths of office administered by 18th District Court Chief Judge Mark McConnell. 

The ceremony took place in the Gene McKinney Ballroom located inside Westland City Hall. 

“It is an honor to continue to serve as mayor of the All American city of Westland,” Wild, said. “I look forward to the next four years working closely with the City Council to improve the lives of Westland residents.”

The inauguration included swearing in for three current member of city council and one newcomer. James R. Godbout, first taking office in 2000; James Hart who first assumed office in 2018; Peter Herzberg in 2016 and the newly-elected councilwoman Melissa Sampey, who officially took office Jan. 1, 2022.

City Clerk Richard LeBlanc acted as the master of ceremonies with saxophonist Steven Thomas playing America the Beautiful.  The Rev. Dr. John E. Duckworth of Gethsemane Missionary Baptist Church provided the invocation and Wild offered closing statements for the inaugural celebration.

Wild will serve a four-year term along with James Hart, Godbout and Herzberg while Sampey will serve a two-year term.

“To the residents of the City of Westland, thank you for your continued support. Twenty-one years so far has been a pretty good run and I will continue to serve you and serve the best interest of all residents of the City of Westland,” said Godbout.

“We should all be active in the community some way or another. Sometimes that's on city council; sometimes it's on boards and commission; sometimes it's your local civic groups. But I've always encouraged everybody to be active in any way they can and I've always encouraged my children to be active. If you guys hang around any city events, you'll always see some of my kids running around because they are just as bought into this and just as dedicated as I am,” said Hart.

“Over the last six years since being on council, I've been able to learn so many things and really being in public service has been the most rewarding thing I've ever done and I enjoy it. I'm honored to do it and I'm looking forward to the next four years,” said Herzberg.

“I'm standing here as a brand-new councilwoman and many people said 'she can't and she won't do it.' But it only takes one person to believe in you and I was very lucky I had so many people in my corner who believed in me and supported me,” commented Sampey.

Following the inauguration, the officials attended the first meeting of 2022 and voted to retain Hart as council president. Councilman Michael Londeau was chosen as council president pro-tem. The officials also opted to reappoint James Fausone of Fausone, Bohn LLP as the city attorney. He has served in that capacity since 2009.