Canton Township Police and EMTs responded to the employee's 911 call at about 7 a.m. Feb. 21. Officers and EMTs attempted to revive Southers inside the business, but were unsuccessful and he remained unresponsive, according to police reports. After an investigation, officers left the scene but were called back to Prototype Automotive Solutions, located in the 7200 block of Haggerty Road near Warren Road, after an employee became ill.
When emergency responders returned, they discovered an extremely high level of carbon monoxide at the building, believed to have come from a vehicle parked inside. DTE assisted the Canton Fire Department in locating the source of the toxic gas. The employee, three police officers and four firefighters were subsequently transported to a nearby hospital to determine their exposure to the carbon monoxide. All eight were treated and released, according to reports.
Mr. Southers is survived by his girlfriend Rosalina Rico; his children, Victoria, Corryn and Maggie; siblings Starr (Dan) Warnke, Todd Southers and Glenda (Dave) Carnill; nieces Briana and Trisha Warnke, and many friends.
Visitation and funeral services for Mr. Southers were planned for today, March 2, at the Michigan Memorial Funeral Home in Flat Rock.