Thursday, March 30, 2023

Lucky stop

Winning Keno ticket sold in Canton

A stop at a Canton Township gas station proved profitable for one lucky driver last week.

A 27-year-old man, who has opted to remain anonymous, won $314,000 on the Michigan Lottery Keno game with a ticket he purchased at the Ford Road BP gas station in Canton. His ticket matched eight of the 20 numbers drawn earning him the prize money.

The lucky winner said he often plays the Club Keno game at several locations, wherever he happens to stop for gas or shop.

“I play Club Keno here and there,” he said. “While I was at the gas station, I noticed The Jack was getting up there, so I purchased a ticket. A few minutes later, I saw The Jack had reset to $10,000, so I pulled up the winning numbers to check my ticket.”

That's when he was astounded to find that he had won the prize worth more than $300,000.

“I went through my numbers and started checking them off one-by-one and kept thinking to myself, 'No way. There is no way that I won,'” he said. “Once I checked off the last number and realized I really had just won, I was in shock. It was such a surreal feeling, and it still doesn't seem real.”

The anonymous winner, who is a Wayne County resident according to Lottery officials, said he will use a portion of his winnings to help his family and put the remainder into savings. He claimed his prize money check at Michigan Lottery headquarters last week. 

Club Keno is offered at 10,500 Lottery retailers in the state and prize drawings take place every three and a half minutes, according to Lottery officials.