|The annual clean up of the historic Romulus Cemetery
will take place this spring and items left
at gravesites must be retrieved.
Members of the Cemetery Board of Trustees recently reminded residents that any items left on gravesites that not in compliance with cemetery rules and regulations will be removed during the regular cleaning of the grounds. While no exact date for the annual cleanup has been announced, as weather is a factor, residents are urged to remove items left at graves. Items removed during the cleanup will be stored for 60 days and then discarded.
Those prohibited items include holiday decorations, yard ornaments, wind chimes, lanterns, solar lights, picket fences and shepherd’s hooks, among others.
The Romulus Cemetery has a long history in the city. The land was once called Blair Cemetery as it was established at the Shook Road location by Warren Blair in 1832 and was the only cemetery in the community.
The earliest recorded burial there took place on Dec. 21, 1833, when Polly Pullens, the wife of Jenks Pullens, was interred at the site. Another early burial was that of Ira S. Hall who served in the war of 1812 and died in 1859.
Robert Monomus, born in 1847, was the last known Civil War Veteran buried in the cemetery. He was only 14 years old when he enlisted in the 102nd United States Colored Troops Union Black Unit. He was 94 years of age at the time of his death on May 14, 1942. There are 25 Civil War Veterans buried in the Romulus Memorial Cemetery along with Charles Cawetzke, a Medal of Honor recipient of the Spanish American War in 1900.
Through the years the property has changed hands several times and the cemetery came under municipal ownership in 1901. The land was officially dedicated as a national historic site in 1989. The property is maintained and managed by the Romulus Cemetery Board of Trustees and city officials.
For a complete copy of the Romulus Cemetery Rules and Regulations, contact the office of the city clerk at (734) 942-7540 or visit the city website.