Thursday, December 31, 2020

State and local Inkster leaders provide coats for children and seniors

State Rep. Jewell Jones (D-Inkster) partnered with local leaders to provide winter coats for children and seniors in need last week. He was joined by Inkster Mayor Patrick Wimberly, Justice Group CEO Kevin Harrington, and

Adam Davis Jr.

“I commend Brothers Kevin Harrington and Adam Davis, as well as the many sponsors for bringing this to my hometown,” said Jones. “It's a beautiful feeling to give back to the community that raised you. But what makes this so sweet is that we've opened up the borders to welcome youth and seniors from any community. This is what it means to give back.”

“The COVID-19 pandemic presents unique challenges to all of us and we must make sacrifices and contribute to others whenever we can,” said Wimberly. “It warms my heart to sponsor the Inkster Coat Giveaway because I truly believe in the spirit of 'Paying It Forward'. As a leader in the community, I feel an obligation to inspire others especially young people by setting a positive example. It is truly a blessing to reach a point where you can give back and make a difference in other peoples' lives.”

“It's just truly a blessing for the community to come together to make sure people can receive the help that they need,” said Harrington. “God blessed me with the opportunity to give back to the community after a long journey, which included a wrongful conviction. I want to help give people opportunities that I didn't have, and the feeling of helping someone improve their situation brings a special type of joy.”

“I was born and raised in the Inkster area, and after my father was murdered 33 years ago, I was inspired to help children who may be going through unique challenges of their own,” said Davis Jr. “My goal is to make a difference in a child's life, and if simply providing them with a coat gives them one less thing that they have to worry about, I'm willing to stand up and do my part for the community.”

During this event at the Inkster Recreational Complex, Jones and his partners were able to provide thousands of children and seniors with coats.