Thursday, July 23, 2020

City warns residents of toxic hand sanitizer poisoning

Inkster city officials offered a warning to residents last week regarding the use of certain hand sanitizers.
The warning, prompted by the Federal Drug Administration, was posted on the official city website on July 2 advising residents that some sanitizers have tested positive for methanol contamination. Methanol, or wood alcohol, is a substance that can be toxic when absorbed through the skin and can be life-threatening if ingested. Labels on the harmful products list ethanol (also known as ethyl alcohol) as an ingredient.
The federal agency issued a formal warning of the spike in instances of adverse effects and said the agency "is aware of adults and children ingesting hand sanitizer products contaminated with methanol that has led to recent adverse events including blindness, hospitalizations and death."
Methanol is not an acceptable active ingredient for hand sanitizers and must not be used due to its toxic effects, according to the FDA bulletin. A federal  investigation of methanol in certain hand sanitizers is ongoing and the agency will provide additional information as it becomes available, officials said. Consumers who have been exposed to hand sanitizer containing methanol and are experiencing symptoms should seek immediate treatment for potential reversal of toxic effects of methanol poisoning. Substantial methanol exposure can result in nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, permanent blindness, seizures, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system or death. Although all persons using these products on their hands are at risk for methanol poisoning, young children who accidently ingest these products and adolescents and adults who drink these products as an alcohol (ethanol) substitute, are most at risk.
Officials from the FDA have reminded consumers to wash their hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after coughing, sneezing, or blowing one's nose. If soap and water are not readily available, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommend consumers use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60 percent ethanol (also referred to as ethyl alcohol). Officials said the agency is especially concerned with the dangers of drinking any hand sanitizer under any conditions. While hand sanitizers with possible methanol contamination are more life-threatening than those that are not contaminated, FDA urges consumers not to drink any of these products;  certain hand sanitizers that may not contain a sufficient amount of ethyl alcohol or isopropyl alcohol; hand sanitizers that are sold or offered for sale with false and misleading, unproven claims that they can prevent the spread of viruses such as COVID-19, including claims that they can provide prolonged protection (e.g., for up to 24-hours); products that are fraudulently marketed as "FDA-approved" since there are no hand sanitizers approved by FDA and products packaged to appear as drinks, candy or liquor bottles, as well as products marketed as drinks or cocktails because their appearance could result in accidental ingestion or encourage ingestion. Children are particularly at risk with these products since ingesting only a small amount of hand sanitizer may be lethal in a young child.