Thursday, July 22, 2021

Financial help is available for flood damaged homes, property

Area residents affected by the heavy storms and recent flooding on June 25 and 26 have some resources to help mitigate damages the severe weather caused. Wayne County has been granted a Major Disaster Declaration as a result of the mass flooding and assistance for individuals and households is available through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). 

Residents who experienced losses due to the rainstorm can apply for the federal assistance by going to or calling 1-800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585).  The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. until 9 p.m. seven days a week, officials said.

This federal assistance could include grants for home repairs, low interest loans, and programs for home and business owners, according to an announcement from federal authorities. Residents who may have already filed claims for losses with their local community should also file a claim for federal assistance, officials said, as city claims are separate from the federal relief being offered. 

In addition, the State Emergency Relief program provides immediate help to families and individuals facing conditions of extreme hardship or for emergencies that threaten health and safety. It is available to eligible residents that need help with home repairs necessary to correct unsafe conditions and restore essential services.

Applicants must be the owner or purchaser of the home and meet other eligibility requirements - including income limits - to qualify.

The lifetime maximum amount of funds available for non-energy related home repairs is $1,500 per household. State Emergency Relief Program assistance is available for repairs not covered by homeowner's insurance for the basic house structure, hot water heater, septic/waste disposal system, doors/windows, extermination services, electrical, plumbing, roofs and wells.

To apply for State Emergency Relief, visit Anyone who does not have internet access or needs assistance applying can contact their local MDHHS office. Or call 2-1-1 to be referred to other community resources.

Wayne Metro is accepting applications for emergency food and supplies, rent and utility assistance, along with property and income tax assistance. Additionally, Wayne Metro is also accepting applications for the Great Lakes Water Authority WRAP (Water Residential Assistance Program) that provides eligible residents of the GLWA service area with payment assistance and home water conservation services. 

Call (313) 388-9799 or visit Programs to determine eligibility for these programs.