Thursday, September 16, 2021

State legislator jailed for repeated bond violations

State Rep. Jewell Jones, D-Inkster, was remanded to jail by Livingston County Circuit Court Judge Michael Hatty on Tuesday for repeated positive alcohol consumption readings on his court-ordered monitor and his  attempt to tamper with the electronic device.

Jones, who entered a guilty plea to the bond violations, will remain in the Livingston County Jail until at least tomorrow when a motion hearing is scheduled. Jones has been free on bond while awaiting trial on four counts of resisting and obstructing a police officer; four misdemeanors, operating a motor vehicle with a high blood alcohol content, operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated, possession of a weapon while under the influence of alcohol and reckless driving. 

The Livingston County Prosecutor's Office filed a motion asking to have Jones' bond revoked, alleging he has violated his bond conditions three times. 

The motion from the prosecutor's office alleged that Jones tested positive for alcohol three times on Sept. 3, at 12:50 p.m.; at 4:37 p.m. and again at 7:09 p.m. according to transdermal monitor readings. His alcohol levels were recorded at .023 and .022, according to the  documents.

Prosecutors also told the court  Tuesday that Jones attempted to tamper with the tether. 

“Mr. Jones believes because he writes the law, he is above the law,” Livingston County Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Christina Richards  told the court. 

“On Sept. 6, 2021, the tether was detected as a tamper for fourteen hours and there was a positive alcohol reading,”  Richards wrote in the motion filed last week. 

Jones previously admitted to a bond violation in June when he left military training without notifying his attorney or the court. That violation resulted in the order for the alcohol monitor by Judge Daniel Bain. In July, prosecutors again asked the court to revoke Jones' bond when he failed to pay for the alcohol monitor ordered by the court. Hatty ordered Jones to pay a $1,000 fine but did not revoke his bond at that time.